Well the season did not go according to plan. However, we did end the season on a very good note with a great victory over Kosice. (101-74)
It was the first time I have ever played basketball regardless of age or level and had a losing season so winning the last game was very important to me. I played one of my better all around games of the season. I only scored 13 points but contributed 7 rebounds and 7 assists which is really excellent for me. We had players who I felt were very relaxed because it was the last game of the season and I hit them when they were open and they just knocked shots down.
I was blessed to have a great group of teammates even the ones that I didn't get the chance to finish the season with. I wish them all the best in the rest of their lives not just their basketball careers. I got a chance to play with the best inside player in the league and the leagues leading scorer Vince Polakovic. We got to become better friends throughout the season and I enjoyed his style of play and he was very easy to play with.
I'm glad I had the opportunity to play at a higher level in European pro sports. Averaging 35 points a game wasn't my idea of fun earlier this year and I am thankful to Inter Bratislava for giving me that opportunity.
Personally I felt like I had a good season. I learned a lot about myself. I also saw the kind of player that I can become which may be the best part of all this. There were many times this season where I felt like I could do anything on the court and if I continue to work hard this summer I know I can come back no matter where it is and be a better player than I was this past season. I will do that. I think I finished the regular season as the 10th leading scorer in the league or something like that, which is not shabby at all, nearly 18 ppg. In fact it's something I can be proud of. Especially after averaging only 13 points per game the first 6 or 7 games I played in. I also did a very good job rebounding the basketball from the guard position about five rebounds a game. This is quite a bit higher than most guards. There were a few bad parts of my game statistically. My assist to turnover ratio was terrible. I don't really have a reason for it, but I felt like a lot of times our team just wasn't on the same page. Not just with me but everyone and this was a large cause of that. Also, my free throw percentage was in the low 70%, by far the lowest percentage of my life. I don't know what the cause of that was, however I do know that I changed my free throw routine the last two games and made 9 out of my last 10 free throws. I guess there is always a time for change and you can bet I'm keeping the new routine for a long time.
Enough about stats. They aren't really that important. As people who know me, I am a very, very competitive person and these past few weeks when we were out of the playoffs were very difficult for me. All season I was working and playing for this goal of the playoffs. Then all of a sudden that goal was out of reach and I felt like a car that had a mile to go but had run out of gas. I feel like I had to get out and push my car that last mile to refuel and it was exhausting.
This is my wife and I's last day in Slovakia so we are going to head outside here and buy a bunch of Euro Chocolate to take home to our friends and family.
I plan on posting a lot more this summer about a number of subjects. 1 How I am approaching becoming a better player this summer 2 Where I end up playing ball next year. I still have no idea but I hope to find out sometime in May. 3 I am very excited about Thumb Pride Bball camp at USA this summer as well as working other camps and providing individual workouts to anyone interested and I will be writing about that.
I'll also give some more details about this past season as a whole
Thanks
Good bye to all my new friends
and soon hello to my old friends and family back in the states.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment