Monday, February 4, 2008

Weiden 92 Landsberg 90

We knew that we were going to have to play one of our best games of the season in order to beat a Landsberg team that I don't believe had lost a game since their pick up of two new American guards. They already had some strength inside and two strong guards that have both averaged over twenty points per game was not going to make for an easy game. However, we came into the game with the same attitude; play hard and play together against a team that was on paper an odds on favorite.

Now onto the game. In the first quarter I played my usual style and wasn't as aggressive while trying to get my teammates involved and seeing how the defense was going to play me. It worked pretty well and we were tied at 23 at the end of the first, even though we gave up way to many fast break points.

The second quarter was more of the same. We played solid half court defense but gave up to many offensive rebounds and let them get to many baskets on the fast break. I started to attack on offense more and we had a strong scoring quarter. Leading at halftime 51-48.

In the second half we didn't give them as man easy baskets but they continued to score inside and outside and it seemed we were matching each other basket for basket for the entire 40 minutes game.

In the fourth quarter I really tried to take it to the basket and either score myself or draw the defense and kick it out to the open man. This led to two big three pointers from Tobi Waldhauser in the fourth quarter. However, with a minute to go we found ourselves taking the ball our of bounds and down two points. I caught the ball of the inbounds in the corner and hit a big three to put us up one. Then after playing some solid defense they drew a foul and tied the game at 90-90. I got the ball back went down and ran a pick and roll. I came off the screen and did a crossover that made the big man fall down so I went past him and hit a bank shot on the wing to giev us the 2 point lead with about 17 seconds to go. After playing solid defense for almost 12 seconds the opposing teams best player drew a foul and shot two free throws to tie the game. Needless to say he missed them both, but somehow we knocked the ball out of bounds. They call a timeout and set up a play for the three which bounced off the back iron and somehow found it's way back to the shooters hands who shot another one and missed as well as time expired. Needless to say they had their chances to tie and win the game in the final seconds.

It was a very big win for us against a team that was obviously more talented. I finished with 35 points despite only scoring two in the first quarter. I also had five of perhaps my biggest points of the season in the last minute of the game.

Now we will do our best to keep up the winning streak against Landshut who is tied for the best record in the league. It will be an extremely tough game for us to win but I am looking forward to the challenge.

Until next time
God Bless

No comments: