Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Dachua 93 Weiden 86

This past weekend we played in Dachua. It is just north of Munich. I think the team was pretty confident that if we played well we would come out with a victory. All of our losses had been really hard fought games and if we played tough everyone had that feeling that we would win.

As the first quarter of the game started I felt like I should make sure everyone in the team is feeling involved in the game and that might play a huge difference later on in the game. Sometimes we will play a game and I will see an advantage right away and try to exploit that advantage. But this game I felt like the best thing to do was get everyone involved and get them into the flow of the game. This meant for me to take less shots in the first quarter and let the other guys get more touches. Well after the first quarter we only had nine points! Nine points in ten minutes!

We will not win any games in this league when we have a quarter like that. This really leaves me in a predicament. I wonder, do I need to be constantly aggressive on offense the whole game? Try to score as much as possible? Honestly I don't like playing like that. I do know, however, that I will have to be more aggressive from the beginning because my plan did not work for this past game.

As for the second half, we started out the third quarter by scoring on the first five possessions. However, we couldn't get enough stops to do anything throughout the third and by the time the third was over were were down 12 after being down 11 at the half.

The fourth quarter was more of the same. We continued to play very even with them. We made a run in the last five minutes of the game and brought it to within one point. We hit many threes and Tobi Waldhauser and Marcus did a great job of causing some turnovers in the end of the game. A couple big plays that put us away were when we were down one and they came down and made consecutive three point plays just because we didn't foul them hard enough to shoot free throws. Instead we gave them the basket and the free throw. All of a sudden we went from down one point to down 7 and the game was over.

Overall, in the loss of this game, I can put most of the blame on myself. Simply because I should have started out the first quarter being more aggressive offensively and I should have made more free throws throughout the course of the game. Hopefully I can lead this team to victory in the next game.

No comments: